Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Job

In November 2010, I was offered a job that was drastically different than the one I had been doing at the hospital.... But before I get into that, here's a little back story:

You see, when I first was hired to run the newborn hearing screen program for the health system in the late summer of 2005, it was my dream job. I had a big, quiet office, I could come and go as I pleased, and the only person I really reported to was the state health office. I had every intention of staying in the position until I retired.

Then the department underwent some shuffling in the summer of 2007 and we were absorbed by another department in another building. I lost my big, private office and was forced to share much smaller spaces at 2 different locations. I had a more involved supervisor (which wasn't a bad thing, just different) and I was moving around a lot more than I would have liked. Still, I liked the job and the people I worked with so I never had any intention of ever leaving...

When the hospital contracted out the entire hearing screen program in the spring of 2008 and I essentially lost my job... however, the company they contracted to hired me to continue doing pretty much the same thing I had been doing... but when they hired me, they literally said, "you are no longer an audiologist... you are a hearing screen coordinator.... you need a high school diploma for your job... you may not do anything outside that scope of practice..."

My internal responses:

1) I will always be an audiologist... you can't tell me that unless you want to pay off my $100k in student loans and even then you can't take away my education...
2) I will remain licenced and will keep up my certification so I can do whatever the hell I want in the audiology scope of practice...
3) Crap, I need this job and can't afford to tell them like it is...
4) At least my supervisors are many states away and I don't have to put up with them breathing down my neck and trying to tell me how to do a job I had already been doing well for 3 years...

My external response:
Yes, I understand, thank you.... (and so began the corporate grind)

Then, after 2 1/2 years of their BS, I was offered a position with an ear, nose, & throat practice (ENT). No more babies, but no more corporate politics, no more early morning and weekend texts or phone calls, and no more administrative headaches... I could go to work, do my job, then go home without worrying about weekend troubleshooting, CPR/TB expirations, and holiday coverage... I'll take it!

More to come, so stay tuned.... ;-)

No comments: