Thursday, June 19, 2008

Space Cadet

I think I am losing my mind.

Monday, I left my work ID at home. This doesn't sound like too big a deal but since I work with newborns and the units are so secure, it is a huge pain in the gulu. I had to check in with security and turn in my driver's license so I could get a temporary ID with access to the mother-baby unit and the intensive care nursery. I hadn't forgotten my ID since my first month at the hospital 3 years ago.

I also forgot to put deodorant on that morning... luckily, I keep some in my desk so tragedy was averted.

Tuesday, for some strange reason, I took my make-up bag out of my purse and put it in my desk. So Wednesday morning when I went to get ready, I realized I didn't have any make-up to put on. Again, not too big a deal. I got going so early that I would have plenty of time to throw on some powder and gloss when I got to work. However, when I got there, I realized I left my ID at home again... my keys are attached to my ID. So I had no way to enter the building (so no make-up) and when I got to my other office on the same campus, everyone asked if I was feeling okay... I don't use a lot of make-up but apparently it makes a big difference in my appearance.

Later that morning, I was walking down the main hallway of the hospital pushing my little equipment cart, off to see one of the very few adult patients I am responsible for. Without warning, I see one of my pieces of equipment fly off the front of the cart and smash into 4 pieces on the floor. I was able to fit all the pieces back together, and, only by the grace of God, it still worked.

I planned to take a half day so I headed home right after lunch. I routinely set my cruise control for 5-7 miles an hour over the speed limit. I was going with the flow of traffic when I started up a large hill. When the cruise is on, the car automatically speeds up a bit on inclines in order to keep it at the speed it has been set to. The car next to me had slowed down just a bit due to the hill. As I came up over the top of the hill, I was just passing the car next to me when he slammed on his breaks. The next thing I know, there are flashing lights in my rear view. I pull over and the cop tells me I was going 60 in a 45! WTF?!?! It's 55 through there... He writes the ticket for 50 in a 45 but still... (And when I drove thru the same area this morning, I saw the signs... it goes from 55 to 45 for about a mile then back to 55... traffic sucks through there and I watch the cars around me, not the speed limit signs...)

That was my second ticket in 3 weeks. The last one I just paid because I hadn't had a ticket in 15 years... now I'll have to get a lawyer for this one so my insurance doesn't go up or get canceled.

Where has my head been?

I feel like I am barely functioning in a dream-like state. You know what I mean... like when you are dreaming and you know you have to be somewhere or do something and all these things keep getting in your way and holding you up so you never get there. Or am I going crazy?

It's been here:

I wish something would happen for the ladies who work for me... The NC stood one of them up for a phone interview and won't return any of the other's phone calls. I think they may all leave July 1st if they don't hear something soon. And I can't say I blame them. They have been so dependable and loyal for years and now they are being forced out. One of the ladies recently told me it actually costs her money to work for me... with gas so high, she spends more to get to work than she makes while she's there. Now that's dedication!

I pray a lot. I pray a lot anyway but I have been praying a lot more lately. It is all out of my hands. There is nothing I can do about it. So I just pray that they are taken care of and that everything works out for the best...

No comments: