Saturday, June 27, 2009

Animal Preparedness

I have been attending Bradley classes to learn the things I need to do to prepare for a natural birth. One of the things they recommend to help avoid tearing and/or an episiotomy is going without underwear as much as possible.

The theory is that animals don't tear when they give birth because their perineum is exposed to air and sunlight which helps make it more pliable and stretchy. I, however, am not comfortable going commando.

But I really want to do everything I can to train for this so my body is ready to bring my punkin into the world with as little medical intervention as possible. So I have this flowy skirt I wear when I am around the house and I go sans underwear when I wear it.

Well, this last week has been ridiculously hot... excessive heat warnings daily... heat indices from 105-115 for days... too hot to even swim... my friend Jenny's latest blog post title says it all: Greetings From The Surface Of The Sun.* I have been taking multiple showers every day and even walked around naked most of one day when I had the house to myself.

A couple days ago, I showered as soon as I walked in the door from work. When I got out, I tossed on my flowy skirt but never put on a shirt. An hour or so later, my husband gets home, takes one look at me and laughs... "you look like a bush woman who just stepped out of the National Geographic..." I laughed too and asked him if he was complaining... of course he said no... he's not stupid :-)

*http://notinkansasanymoretoto.typepad.com/

No comments: