Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Glamors of Pregnancy

I have a cold... not a bad one but it is still uncomfortable. The other morning, I woke up with the sore throat I know comes from sinus drainage... I got up and went to work anyway but left as early as I could that day.

That afternoon, I slept a good 3 hours and woke up feeling great. So I went to dinner with some friends from church... we had planned to meet at this fabulous Italian buffet and I wasn't going to miss it since I was feeling better.

That night when I got home I still felt fine. I did some things around the house and then had a snack before I went to bed.

I usually wake up 2-4 times to go potty during the night and I always get a snack so I don't ever really have an empty tummy... I think this is the reason I never had morning sickness.

Anyway, that night, I was having these pains in my chest that feel like indigestion but I have recently discovered are actually hunger pains because my tummy is now smooshed up into my chest cavity. It is hard to eat then but I knew I needed something so I ate a frozen fruit cup hoping that would help and I went back to bed.

The next time I woke up, I felt even worse and I got that metallic taste in the back of my mouth. You know the one you get right before you vomit? That's the one! But I still had the pain in my chest. I figured if it was stomach acid I was tasting because I was hungry, a piece of bread might help. I pulled the crust off to share with Bailey then I took a couple of bites myself.

That's when things got bad...

I knew the bread was a bad idea after the first swallow. I tossed the rest of the piece to Bailey and ran to the bathroom. I made it just in time.

Now I never vomit... ever... the last time was the day before my baby brother left to go back to Iraq (November 2007) and we went out and I got hammered and paid for it for 2 days... So that one was my fault... I wasn't even sick...

Well, this time it only lasted a few minutes so it wasn't too bad. And I felt 100 times better after it was over. So I headed back to bed.

The next morning, I woke up starving and feeling much better so I slowly ate some breakfast before getting ready for work. As I was putting some make-up on, I noticed some little red dots on my left jaw line and up that side of my cheek. I had a few other spots around my right eye as well. I figured it was just freaky pregnancy skin and didn't give it a second thought.

The following morning, however, I went to put some eye liner on and when I pulled my lower lid away from my eye, there looked to be a puddle of blood where the inside of my lid met my eye!!! What in the????? I checked the other eye and it was there as well! I started to think about it and I realized I must have thrown up so hard that I caused facial hemorrhages!

Petechial hemorrhages to be exact. You know, the stuff they look at to determine if a person was strangled to death...

Ahh... the glamors of pregnancy :-)

********************

26 weeks today... time is sure flying now!

No comments: