Friday, December 21, 2007

Hence The Title... Part 1

So, why did I name this blog what I did? Because of a dog... well, actually, because of 2 dogs.


We'll start with Gizmo.


She belonged to my husband when he and I started dating. Before I met her and learned her name, he told me he had a dog. I knew my husband from high school and I knew he was a pretty masculine guy. So I figured he had a "guy's dog" like a doberman or a retriever of some kind. You know, a bigger dog. Then he told me she was a small dog. So I figured we were talking about a pit bull or a beagle or something about that size. Then I met her... all 3 pounds of her. She was the smallest, full grown dog I had ever seen.


Gizmo did not like anyone except my husband and his family. She was very protective and very apprehensive about new people coming into her home. My husband warned me of this before I met her. So, when I got there expecting a medium sized guard dog and I found a 3 pound Yorkie, I could not help but let my guard down. And to his surprise, she did, too. She was sitting in my lap within an hour of our first meeting. He told me dogs were great judges of character and that Gizmo did not like anyone... but she liked me so that must mean I was a pretty good person. We were shopping for rings less than 2 months later. Hence the title...


Gizmo was our baby. We've been married almost 5 years and for the last 3 years, people have been asking when we were going to start a family. When ever I was asked if I had any children, my reply was always, "I have a husband and a dog... they are all the kids I need." I knew we planned to have children some day. But I also knew it would be when we were ready, not when society or our friends and family deemed it time. And I was okay with that.


Then, our hearts were torn from our chests on November 9th, 2007. I returned from a run and found our baby girl lying motionless on the ground. I scooped her up and rushed her to the vet ER. She was still warm and I prayed there was some hope. But it was too late. Our "Little Miss" was gone and our hearts were broken.


Our house is too quiet and lonely...


(To Be Continued...)

No comments: