Sunday, December 23, 2007

Grief

Just as with anyone experiencing the grief process, some days are better than others. But no matter which stage you happen to be in, one thing is true for all: we miss our loved one.

I miss our little dog. I miss the quirky little things she used to do. I miss how she would wait for someone to step out of the shower so she could lick the water off of their ankles. I miss how she would smell a pro-offered treat then walk away... then as soon as someone would try to pick it up, she would run back, snatch it up, and run off to hide it some where. I miss how she would climb up our chests to smell our eyes... I guess that's how she got our scents. I miss the way she looked at my husband with an expression so clear, you could almost hear her say, "Hi Dad! Love ya, Dad!"

I find myself excited about our new addition but I feel guilty. Guilty because a part of me feels like I am trying to replace what we lost. And guilty that I might unfairly compare our new friend to our old one. Guilty because I know there are a lot worse things I could be dealing with this holiday season, like the loss of a child or parent, etc.

I know this is just a part of the grieving process but that doesn't make the feelings any less real. I also know I will get through this. It will just take time.

No comments: