Saturday, July 25, 2009

Honey... Aahhh Sugar Sugar

Warning: This gets graphic...

So I went in on the 20th for the 3 hour glucose tolerance test (GTT).

I managed to do okay overnight with just water and no snacks... but by the time I got to the lab, I was actually looking forward to the glucose drink.

They open at 7:30, I got there at 7:15 and there were already 5 people waiting on the bench outside the door... I was a bit confused as to why no one (clearly not pregnant and strong enough to stand) offered me their seat... when the doors opened, I figured out that the seating arrangement was clearly the line as everyone started signing in...

So I get up to the front to sign in and I told them I was there for a GTT (there was a sign on the wall telling me to notify them of this when signing in). The tech said "Great! I'll grab you the drink!"

Me: Don't you need to do the fasting blood draw first?

Tech: Are you here for the 1 hour screen?

Me: No, the 3 hour test.

Tech: You have to make an apt for that.

Me: My OBs office told me I could walk in this morning!!!

I was freaking out! I took a day off work, I was ready to chew my arm off, and they were telling me I needed an apt!!! After a few questions about who my OB was and a phone call to their lab supervisor, they figured out they had spots designated for 3 people from my OBs practice every Monday... so all was well... kind of...

By the time they called me back for the fasting blood draw, it was 8:15. I apologized in advance to the tech for any snippy behavior or comments I might make since I probably would have eaten bloody road kill by then if I had it in front of me. She smiled and said "no problem."

So they take my blood and I gulp down the glucose drink and I head out to the lobby to wait with instructions to let them know at 9:13 if I hadn't been called back for the first hour blood draw.

I sat and read and people came and went and all was well.

Then Spider Baby decided my stomach was a fun new toy, all squishy and with out that lumpy food stuff in it... I changed positions and walked around and still we thumped away on the glucose filled water balloon...

It was 8:58... only 15 minutes to go...

And then came the taste... you know the one you get in the back of your mouth right before you toss your cookies? Yeah, this was gonna be bad...

I grab my purse and sprint to the restroom... I just made it through the door then it started to come up... I kept my mouth closed as long as possible as I flew into the first open stall I saw... but when I got there, the pressure behind my lips was too great and I projected all over the toilet and wall and floor...

Now how is it possible to throw up that much when all that was in my tummy was 12 oz of glucose and bile? There was easily that much on the wall and floor alone... And it kept coming!

There happened to be a nurse in there and she offered me a wet paper towel and asked if I was going to be alright or if I needed anything... I told her I was fine, thanks, and then she left...

And then I started to cry...

I was going to have to start all over... I was gonna have to drink that stuff again... It was gonna be another hour before I could eat anything...

I went back to the waiting room and when they called my name, I went back and told the tech what happened... She called my OBs office and I spoke with the nurse. She said that I would have to do the test with a diet instead...

Me: How does that work?

Nurse: 3/4 cup sugar frosted flakes, 1 cup skim milk, 2 slices dry white toast, and 1 cup orange juice... and the first blood draw needs to be 1 hour after the last bite.

Hoorah!!! I could still get the test over with that day!!! I ran to the store to get the stuff I didn't have at home then headed to my house to finally eat something... then back to the lab to wait my turn for the blood draws.

Why was I not given the diet option before? I guess I'll know for next time...

It is 5 days later and I still have not heard anything... where as I knew 2 days after each of the 1 hour screens that something wasn't right... no news is good news I guess.

No comments: