Thursday, July 16, 2009

Water Dog

Bailey likes playing in water but she is not a swimmer.

Last summer, she was rudely introduced to the lake when she was riding too close to the front of the pontoon and, while learning to drive it, I slowed too quickly and she flew off the front. I quickly put the boat in neutral so she wouldn't get hurt by the propeller... the boat went right over top of her and my husband ran to the back of the boat to coach her back to the boat and to jump in to get her if need be. She was able to swim to the boat but it was quite clear she was not a dog meant for swimming in the lake... her "doggy paddle" was her frantically splashing the water with her front paws while her back paws dragged uselessly behind her. From then on, I put her life jacket on her every time we got on the boat together.

Later in the summer, I watched a couple of dogs jumping into the water off boats anchored in the middle of the lake to go after balls that had been tossed in by the owner. The dogs actually used the people ladders to get back on the boat. I figured I could try it with Bailey... so the next time we went out, I put her life jacket on and tossed her in right beside the ladder. I then guided her around to the ladder and held her front paws onto the top rung and waited for her to find the bottom rung with her back paws. We did this a few times and she hated it. Even if we were on the shore by our docks where she could walk in and out and be able to touch, she avoided the water at our lake.

But at the dog park, you couldn't keep her out of the water. She jumps and splashes and plays and loves it. I figure its not as scary since the water just sits there and there are no waves and she can touch the whole time...

This year, we got out boat in the water late and it had been too hot to take her on it once it was in the water... but the morning of July 5th, it was cool and I was taking my friend's 10 year old daughter out to swim while we waited for her mom to wake up... I figured I would take Bailey too since it was so cool and we didn't plan to be out very long.

So we get out to our swimming cove and drop anchor. I put Bailey's life jacket on just in case because she was acting so excited. We opened the door to the front of the boat and the little girl jumped in... and Bailey followed right behind her!!! I was so shocked! So I ran to the front and guided her in the right direction to get her back to the ladder and away from the girl so Bailey wouldn't drown her. I went to the back of the boat and called Bailey around to me and she swam right to the ladder. I put her paws on the top rung just like last year and she managed to get herself out with lots of help from me. Bailey walked around on the boat for a minute and the little girl climbed out so she could jump in again... But before she could get to the front of the boat, Bailey ran past her and jumped in again!!! Again I called her around to the ladder and again I helped her out... I closed the door to the front so she wouldn't jump in again.

Bailey is 82 lbs now... I had to do most of the work to get her up the ladder... I was 27 weeks 3 days... 2 times was enough to wear me out. We took Bailey back to the house because I couldn't keep doing that... She hasn't been back out on the boat since because I won't take her if I am by myself and my husband hasn't been out since then.

I don't know what made her jump in like she did. I thought the first time she was going after the little girl but realized she couldn't touch too late... she looked frantic when she got the ladder after the first time. But then she did it again before the girl jumped in again so that didn't make any sense, and she looked just as frantic the second time around... so I am confused...

Maybe we have a water dog on our hands after all... ?

********************

29 weeks today... our latest trick is testing the limits of my ribs and hip bones...

No comments: