Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Swimming

We started Infant Swimming Resource (ISR) the last week of April. It is a highly intensive and expensive class that teaches water survival to infants and young children.

The first time I heard of it, it was in an email forward about 3 years ago. The video showed a young toddler, probably 12-15 months old, falling into a pool with no one around. The child oriented herself underwater and came up into a beautiful back float. Then she floated... and floated.... and floated for probably 10 minutes. Toward the end of the time, she started to cry and yell out but she maintained the float, fully clothed, until an adult pulled her out.

Living in a lake community, my interest was high. When I researched it, the closest place to offer it was 3 hours away so I figured I would just be out of luck when it was time for us to have kiddos.

Then, a few months ago, I saw it advertised in a local parenting magazine. I WAS STOKED!!!! I called the place and was put in touch with the instructor. We were signed up and have completed 3 weeks of classes.


The first week she cried through most of the lesson... it was something new and challenging and that's just how she communicates. The second week was a little better but she still complained a bit. The 3rd week was even better. On Monday, she floated by herself for a few seconds and went under a few times and didn't even cry... she's totally gonna be our little fish...

When I say it's intensive and expensive, I am not exaggerating. The classes are Monday thru Friday and range from $75-$90 a week in our area. But, living so close to water, I feel it's absolutely necessary.


The other morning, I was watching Trauma, Life in the ER... they were resuscitating a little girl about 2 years old who had been found at the bottom of her neighbor's pool. She did survive, but had substantial and permanent brain damage...

Yup, ISR is worth every penny, all the time, and every mile I drive...

No comments: