Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Dog Park Adventure

As I mentioned in the previous post, we took our first trip to the dog park... but our adventure did not end at finally fitting into the car.. oh no...

When we got to the park, Bailey was so excited she could barely contain herself... the last time we were there was July or August of last year... Then I went on modified bed rest, had a baby, and had to recover... by the time I was well enough to go, it was too cold for Kayden to go and my husband's schedule did not allow him to either take Bailey or watch Kayden while I went.

Once I got Kayden in the stroller and covered with a blanket, I got Bailey on the leash and we headed to the gate. Now, as a safety measure, you have to go through 2 gates... it keeps dogs from escaping if they try to slip out when someone else is entering or exiting. A great idea for the dogs... not so much for a jogging stroller... but after a bit of maneuvering, we made it in.

Unfortunately, the way the park is set up, it is almost always a wind tunnel. Even on the warmest days with no wind, there is a cool breeze... which is GREAT for the dogs, not so much for mom and a baby... I forgot about this little quirk and although it was a warm day, it was probably 5-10 degrees cooler at the park... a bit too cool for Kayden. Needless to say, we only stayed about 15 minutes.

Although it was a bit cool, Kayden had a blast! She loved watching the dogs play and thought it was the funniest thing in the world when they came to smell her... The owners seemed mortified that their dogs were smelling her, though... I mean, really... I wouldn't have brought Kayden in a stroller if I was worried about that...

When we left, we had an even harder time getting back into the car. I had to put Bailey in first so she wouldn't escape or pull on her leash while I was getting Kayden in the car. Once I got them both in, I had to get the stroller in... but Bailey had taken back over her spot in the backseat... It was a mess trying to get her in the front seat long enough for me to toss the stroller in the backseat...

So went our first trip to the dog park... I have decided that I will probably just wear Kayden in the Moby Wrap next time we go... it will be easier than wrestling with the stroller, which I don't think is technically allowed anyway...

********************

6 months old today!!! Although she is still not rolling over, she is almost sitting up and, although she HATES tummy time, I have a feeling crawling is not far behind...

And 19lbs... holy crap she's big!!!!

1 comment:

beco baby carrier said...

A dog is considered man's best friend and it sure stays faithful for life.