Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Underworld

For some strange reason, I have decided that I want to cloth diaper. Maybe it's the undercover tree-hugger I get from my mother. Or maybe it was the calculator at punkinbutt.com that showed the savings of disposables ($700 something vs $2000 something for diapering for 30 months).

So now I am trying to plan how I am going to do it. It's not like the old days with folding them in thirds, diaper pins, and plastic pants. Those are still out there but with some modern variations. The ones I plan to use are much more like the disposables with the diaper and the cover all being in one piece and fastening with Velcro or snaps. They have every color of the rainbow and ones that are size specific or ones that grow with your child.

I will need 25-30 of the newborn variety since the one-size are so bulky on the little ones and they won't grow into them until 6-12 weeks depending on the size of the baby. Then I will need 20-25 of the one-size. These all run $15-$20 or more a piece! Then you need liners for the first 2 weeks so the meconium (tar-like newborn poop that fades away with their out-side world diet) doesn't stain the precious diapers. And if you are going to use CD you may as well use cloth wipes and wash it all together, right? So the up front cost can run $400-$500 easily.

But then it's done. You have your stash. You might sell or trade on sites like diaperswappers.com or buy a cute new patterned one but for the most part, no more expense on poo collectors. And if a little sibling comes along, the savings in exponential!!!

I think I am going to register for the diapers since I have bigger things like the crib and rocking chair already taken care of. And I didn't plan to register for all the little gadgets anyway so this will be nice for those on a budget. They can buy a diaper or 2 and maybe a pack of wipes and be done with it...

No comments: