Thursday, April 30, 2009

Sacrificial Tooth

As I eluded to in the 4/27 post, I have had some dental issues lately.

Seven years ago, I had a streak of 3 root canals in 6 months... that was the most un-fun 6 months of my life... but I haven't had any issues since so all was well.

Last summer, one of those teeth began to hurt. Now, I know what you are thinking, "that tooth is dead" or "that's not possible" or something along those lines. Well guess what... you are wrong!

Turns out I had what is called a "failed root canal" which required (or so I thought) surgery on the root via the gum. The endodontist went in through the side of my gum and fixed the problem and within 10 days, the swelling and pain were all gone and all was well again. Until I got the bill for what insurance didn't cover... $950!!!!!

Then in December, a little bubble popped up on the gum. I didn't think anything of it at first since I occasionally get water blisters in my mouth... I just pop them and they go away. So I pop the bubble and more than just water came out. I had an apt within the week for a filling repair so I figured I would ask about it then.

The dentist said I had an infection in my gum and put me on antibiotics to clear it up. She said if it returned, to go back the the endodontist who did my surgery that summer. It cleared up for a bit but came back... right before I was due for a cleaning so I waited until then to do anything about it.

I just found out I was expecting when I went in for the cleaning. As it turned out, the dr was out that day and the hygienist was not comfortable cleaning my teeth with the active infection there and with me being so early on in my pregnancy. So they got me in with a new endodontist that afternoon who told me that he could try to repair the root canal again or I could just have the tooth pulled.

Let me see, I can pay another $1000 and risk finding out 6 months after the fact that I have another infection, doing God only knows what kind of damage to my unborn child, or I could spend $150 and just have it pulled and be done with it.

Guess which one I chose... I figured the tooth was the first of many sacrifices I will make for my child...

So next year, when I will have added more to my medical flex account, I am going to get a dental implant. In the mean time, I had to get a retainer to hold the space in my mouth. Its not covered so I was going to be $100 out of pocket. Then when I am ready for the surgery, they have to make a guide which is also not covered and will be $400 out of pocket.

When I went in last week to pick up the retainer, the dr found that the tech made me 3 of them. So the dr decided to just keep one and use it to make the guide... CHA-CHING!!!! $400 I now don't have to spend!!! Then when I went to check out, the regular office goddess was not there and the fill-in wasn't sure how to put the $100 charge for the retainer in the computer. The dr told her to wave it!!! Another $100 to spend on baby stuff!

Have I mentioned how much I love my dentist?

********************

18 weeks today!

No comments: