Saturday, November 22, 2008

Inheritance

One of the things I inherited from my mother is the love of reading. From the time I was very young, I remember my mom reading to me. Picture books with few words when I was really young and chapter books as I got older.

I am a fan of fiction. After all the books I had to read for school, reading to learn or gain information is out. I read for pleasure, to escape, to be entertained.

One of the things I really like to do is read books that are made into movies. The first one was The Clan of the Cave Bear. I watched the movie at a friend's house and when I learned it was a based on a book, I asked my grandmother to buy it for me on our next trip to the mall. I was young and it was huge so my mom read it to me, editing out the graphic violence that she felt was not appropriate. And we fell in love with Jean Auel together. I've read the series 6 or 8 times. I'm sure my mom has read it more.

When the Harry Potter books came out, I had to see what all the fuss was about. I read them and loved them and have read them a few times as well... about when the next movie is about to come out... so I will be due again soon since The Half Blood Prince is due in theaters in July...

Last night, my husband and I went to see Twilight. With all the talk about that series and the Sookie Stackhouse novels, I, again, had to see what all the commotion was about. So, I watched a bunch of True Blood episodes and made my husband take me to see Twilight. I am still not sure what all the fuss is about with True Blood, but Twilight was pretty good.

So, because its almost Christmas, I am off to the library to check out the book. I felt there were a lot of questions left unanswered and I am interested to see what was left out of the movie.

No comments: